Thinking embraces the joy of becoming
Thursday February 28th Financial Aid application deadline
Friday March 1st Pizza Lunch! $2 a slice
Monday March 4th Grades 3/4/5 Class Meeting 3:15 pm
Tuesday March 5th 1st Grade Readiness Parent Meeting 4 – 5:30 pm
Wednesday March 6th Parent Council Meeting 8:30 am
Friday March 8th All School Community Sing 8:30 am
Wizard of Oz – The Musical! 6 pm
Saturday March 9th Wizard of Oz – The Musical! 2 pm
Friday March 15th **Parent-Teacher Conferences NO SCHOOL
**Please contact the office if you will need childcare at the time of your conference on March 15.
First Grade Readiness – Parent Meeting
At this meeting, scheduled from 4 –5:30 pm on Tuesday March 5th, Early Childhood teachers will describe the child’s transition into the Waldorf first grade. Parents of all Early Childhood and first grade children will enjoy this exploration of the child at this exciting developmental stage.
Parent Council Update
Next week’s meeting will bring parents together to review & renew our understanding of the mission and role of the IWS Parent Council, and do some planning for an upcoming Faculty & Staff appreciation event.
ALL ARE WELCOME – never attended a meeting before? Let this be your first! Your presence, your ideas and your willingness to help are all invited.
Follow the Yellow Brick Road . . .
Coming up fast is this year’s musical production, The Wizard of Oz, brought to you by Mrs Myers grades 6/7 class. Come and enjoy one of two possible performances: Friday March 8 at 6 pm, or Saturday March 9 at 2 pm.
Hiring Update for 2019-20
We are delighted to report that we have several applications from internal and external candidates for the grades teaching positions, and the Hiring Committee is busy with ongoing interviews. If you have any questions at all about the progress on this front, please contact the Hiring Committee Chair, Lori Freer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, March 20th, 3:30-5pm: You're invited to join the Ithaca Waldorf School, the Youth Farm, and the Full Plate Farm Collective CSA for our 2nd annual Equinox Walk around the Farm! We'll meet at the picnic table by the farm after school, and Farmer Ann and Farmer Nathaniel will lead us on a kid-friendly journey around the farm to wake up the land for spring, and be available to answer questions about Biodynamic (Steiner-inspired) farming. Light, veggie-based snacks will be provided.
· please dress appropriately - it's pretty muddy out there. All children need hats, snow pants (or rain pants - if it warms up!), mittens, good boots (snow or rain) and scarves (if chilly)
· please bring a snack if your child has any dietary restrictions, remembering that our school is peanut-free
· please park in the upper staff lot, as the school lot can be very congested until about 3:20
Here we are last year, mixing and sprinkling the Biodynamic preparation 500 (like an herbal remedy for the farm) on the land as we walked.
Curriculum Night RESCHEDULED:
Thursday March 28th 6 – 7:30 pm
Join the IWS faculty for an evening of sharing about some of the hands on experiences brought to the students from Early Childhood through the grades. This year’s Curriculum Night, A Walk Through the Waldorf Curriculum, offers an opportunity to ‘be a student’ and learn how your child learns here at the Ithaca Waldorf School. Many parents have questions about Waldorf pedagogy and how it ‘looks’ in the classroom. This is your chance to see this philosophy in action, with a particular focus on the practical arts, and ask the teachers themselves how they bring their understanding of the whole child into every lesson.
We have also invited several IWS alumni to join the event and they will talk about their transitions to local middle or high schools, as well as reflect on the impact of a Waldorf education on their growth as students and as citizens of the world!
· Land Access & Reparations Workshop Join us in welcoming Leah Penniman, author of Farming While Black and co-founder of Soul Fire Farm, Thursday March 7th at 6:30 pm in the Tompkins County Library. $5 suggested donation
See attached flyer and link:
· 100% Grass-fed Organic Beef Raised on Miss Karen's farm, on land which has been organic for more than 50 years, these cattle eat only grass. IWS SALE: 20 lbs of ground beef or roasts (or any combo of the two) for $100. Ground meat is prepared in 1 lb packages. Please contact Karen Lonsky to place an order: email@example.com
· Guitar Lessons with Sue Terwilliger Sue Terwilliger, the IWS Guitar Ensemble instructor, is a world traveled guitarist with a Bachelor of Music from Ithaca College and 15 years of experience teaching. Her approach blends teaching universally important skills with what excites and motivates an individual student, drawing from rock, pop, blues, jazz, classical and world music. Her private instruction rates are $25/half hr, $37.50/45 min and $50/hr.