Tuition & Assistance
Tuition, Fees & Tuition Assistance
The Ithaca Waldorf School strives to provide the highest quality teachers, programming, and facilities while remaining affordable for families.
Below we have listed information about our 2017-18 tuition, fees and tuition assistance program.
5 Full Days: $9,500 5 Half Days: $8,550
4 Full Days: $8,200 4 Half Days: $7,050
3 Full Days: $6,800 3 Half Days: $5,850
$150 Processing Fee, $250 Supply Fee (not included in tuition above)
Sibling Discount: 1st sibling - 15%, 2nd sibling - 40%,
Tuition Assistance Information 2017-2018
The Ithaca Waldorf School wishes to make Waldorf education available to all who seek it. We are committed to providing tuition assistance (TA) for students whose families are unable to fully meet tuition costs; however, we believe the financial responsibility of a student’s education rests primarily with his/her family. The below information should help you determine whether you want to pursue TA as an option – and if so, the steps needed to submit an application.
IWS TA Headlines:
- IWS tuition assistance is awarded only to Early Childhood (EC) and Grades students who attend five full days/week.
- Eligible EC program applicants may also apply for pre-school tuition assistance through the Tompkins County Department of Social Services. Please contact Robin Collins at (607) 274-5237 www.mybenefits.ny.gov to learn more about the eligibility requirements. Eligible applicants (6 years old or younger by September 1st 2017) are encouraged to apply immediately after acceptance to IWS to ensure a timely notification of the DSS award.
- A 2017-18 IWS TA award is only valid after any balance owed to the school has been satisfactorily resolved.
- Families receiving TA are not eligible for additional sibling discounts, but are eligible for the 2% full year payment discount against their total tuition due (if full payment is received by August 1st, 2017)
- The TA award does not cover school fees (Supply, Processing or Bookkeeping fees).
- TA applications must be made anew each year.
- For planning purposes, as a general rule (barring significant changes to a family’s financial situation) IWS seeks to allocate similar TA awards from previous years.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- As a general rule, the average TA award ranges from a 25-40% reduction in tuition (not including fees). The maximum TA award is 25% of tuition for EC students who are younger than 5 years of age before June 1st, 2017.
IWS TA Application Process:
- In order to assess a family’s ability to pay tuition, we use the online services of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS.org) to get an accurate and impartial analysis of each family's financial need.
- A $100 TA application deposit (one per child, payable to IWS) is due by March 1st to ensure the waiver of the $150 non-TA enrollment processing fee. The $100 deposit/child will be applied towards the $250 Supply Fee/child if the TA award is accepted for the 2017-18 year.
- A TA application is considered complete, and will secure your child’s place until May 8th, if the following are submitted by 4/17/2017:
o A completed application at the sssbynais.org site
o A copy of the completed 2016 tax return.
o A deposit of $100 in the IWS office (in lieu of the contract-signing deposit)
- Awards are based on financial need. If other sources of financial support are available (such as from a non-custodial parent or grandparents), it is critical that this information be disclosed in the Additional Comments section of the online application.
- If an award has been made, and you are still unable to afford the revised tuition, please send a written appeal to the Chair of the Tuition Assistance committee within one week of receiving your child(ren)’s award.
- A family aid package can be offered for families w/full-time enrolled children, inclusive of both Grades & EC (if the Grades student is no longer enrolled, then EC aid will automatically be reduced as per standard TA policy)
IWS TA Timelines for 2017:
- February 1st: Returning and new families may begin to apply for tuition assistance.
- By March 1st: Returning and new families' enrollment commitment and TA deposits (of $100, applied towards the Supply Fee) are due in the IWS office in order to have the Processing Fee (of $150) waived.
- April 17th, 2017: The TA application deadline. All families who have completed applications by this deadline will receive a TA decision by May 8th, 2017.
- After April 17th, 2017: All TA applications received after this date will be accepted on a rolling basis. Awards will be made based on available funding but available seats in the classroom cannot be guaranteed
- To secure your child(ren)’s place for Fall 2017, within two weeks of receiving the TA award notification, the IWS office will need to receive:
o A signed TA award acceptance letter
o A signed contract for each child
o The balance of the Supply Fee ($150/child) for 2017-18
o Processing Fee of $150/child if $100 TA deposit was received after March 1st.
o Bookkeeping Fee of $150/child if choosing the monthly payment option
0 If your award is not sufficient to meet the tuition costs for the 2017-18 academic year, the $100 TA application fee will be retained. Any additional fees you may have paid in advance will be refunded if a written request is submitted before August 1st, 2017.
Each family applying for tuition assistance must submit the following items:
1. The Parents' Financial Statement (PFS), to be completed online at sssbynais.org . A fee applies, however families which meet the criteria described in the attached NAIS document will have their fee automatically waived at the application time. Questions about the form can be asked online or at (800) 344-8328.
- The code for the Ithaca Waldorf School is 4704.
- For Early Childhood families: When filling out the NAIS form, please select "Pre-1st" if your EC student will be 5 years old by June 1st 2017 and "K" if younger than 5 years oldafter June 1st 2017.
- Please use the Additional Comments section in the Additional Family Information tab to explain or discuss anything that will help us in making a decision regarding your family.
2. An electronic file of your 2016 Federal Tax Return with supporting documents and schedules. This must be uploaded to the NAIS site as part of the application. To submit your electronic 2016 Federal Tax Return you may upload:
- A pdf file of your taxes, if you filed online.
- An electronic file created at a local copy center, where they will help you convert your paper Tax Return document to an electronic file.
- An electronic file created at the IWS office, where we will be able to scan your paper 2016 Tax Return to a memory stick, which you provide.
3. If there is anything further you would like the committee to consider, please submit a letter (IWS c/o TA Committee, 20 Nelson Road, Ithaca, NY 14850) or via email (email@example.com) explaining your situation. Without submission of items 1 and 2 (above), the application is considered incomplete, and an award will not be made.
Please contact the following members of the Tuition Assistance Committee with any additional questions you may have about the Tuition Assistance program:
- Bradford Smith, Tuition Assistance Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (607) 216-5533
- MaryAnn Albonesi at email@example.com or (607) 319-0205
We recognize that some families who seek Waldorf education need help. We follow a model used by many Waldorf schools called Tuition Assistance, in which a percentage of total tuition income is given as aid to qualifying families. In order to qualify for tuition assistance, the child must already be accepted.
We are happy to discuss the process with you. For more information please call our office at (607) 256-2020.