Tuition & Assistance
Tuition, Fees & Tuition Assistance
The Ithaca Waldorf School strives to provide the highest quality teachers, programming, and facilities while remaining affordable for families.
Below we have listed information about our 2018-19 tuition, fees and tuition assistance program.
5 Full Days: $10,650 5 Half Days: $9,600
4 Full Days: $10,650 4 Half Days: $9,600
3 Full Days: $7,650 3 Half Days: $6,550
$275 Supply Fee (in addition to tuition; includes $10 Parent Council Fee)
Payment in Full by Aug 1, 2018: 2% off entire tuition
Sibling Discount: 1st sibling - 15%, 2nd sibling - 40%,
Tuition Assistance Information 2018-2019
We recognize that some families who seek Waldorf education need help. We follow a model used by many Waldorf schools called Tuition Assistance, in which a percentage of total tuition income is given as aid to qualifying families. In order to qualify for tuition assistance, the child must already be accepted.
The Ithaca Waldorf School is committed to providing tuition assistance (TA) for students whose families are unable to fully meet tuition costs; however, we believe the financial responsibility of a student’s education rests primarily with his/her family. The below information should help you determine whether you want to pursue TA as an option – and if so, the steps needed to submit an application.
We are happy to discuss the process with you. For more information please call our office at (607) 256-2020.
IWS TA Headlines:
- IWS tuition assistance is awarded only to Early Childhood (EC) and Grades students who attend five full days/week.
- Eligible EC program applicants may also apply for pre-school tuition assistance through the Tompkins County Department of Social Services. Please contact Robin Collins at (607) 274-5237 www.mybenefits.ny.gov to learn more about the eligibility requirements. Eligible applicants (6 years old or younger by September 1st 2018) are encouraged to apply immediately after acceptance to IWS to ensure a timely notification of the DSS award.
- A 2018-19 IWS TA award is only valid after any balance owed to the school has been satisfactorily resolved.
- Families receiving TA are not eligible for additional sibling discounts, but are eligible for the 2% discount against their total tuition due (if full payment is received by August 1st, 2018).
- The TA award does not cover school fees (Supply or Bookkeeping fees) or After School expenses.
- TA applications must be made anew each year.
- For planning purposes, as a general rule (barring significant changes to a family’s financial situation) IWS seeks to allocate similar TA awards from one year to the next.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- As a general rule, the average TA award ranges from a 25-40% reduction in tuition (not including fees). The maximum TA award is 25% of tuition for EC students who are younger than 5 years of age before June 1st, 2018.
IWS TA Application Process:
- If your family is new to IWS please begin here: https://www.ithacawaldorf.org/process/ and then return to this process.
- In order to assess a family’s ability to pay tuition, we use the online services of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS.org) to get an accurate and impartial analysis of each family's financial need.
- A TA application is considered complete, and will secure your child’s place until April 30th, if the following are submitted by February 16th, 2018:
- A completed application at the sssbynais.org site
- A copy of the completed 2016 tax return
- TA application deposit of $375 (including $100 non-refundable tuition deposit, and $275 refundable Supply Fee)
- Awards are based on financial need. If other sources of financial support are available (such as from a non-custodial parent or grandparents), it is critical that this information be disclosed in the Additional Comments section of the online application.
- If an award has been made, and you are still unable to afford the revised tuition, please send a written appeal to the Chair of the Tuition Assistance committee within one week of receiving your child(ren)’s award.
- A family aid package can be offered for families w/full-time enrolled children, inclusive of both Grades & EC (if the Grades student is no longer enrolled, then EC aid will automatically be reduced as per standard TA policy)
IWS TA Timelines for 2018:
- January 10th: Returning and new families may begin to apply for tuition assistance.
- By February 16th: Returning and new families' enrollment commitment and TA deposits are due in the IWS office in order to receive the $150 tuition discount. Applications received by this deadline will receive a decision from the TA Committee by March 15th.
- After February 16th: All TA applications received after this date will be accepted on a rolling basis and awards will be made based on available funding, though space in the classes cannot be guaranteed.
- To secure your child(ren)’s place for Fall 2018, within two weeks of receiving the TA award notification, the IWS office will need to receive:
o A signed TA award acceptance letter
o A signed contract for each child
If you choose to withdraw your child's application for any reason the $100 deposit will be retained. Any additional fees you may have paid in advance will be refunded if a written request is submitted before August 1st, 2018.
To help us process your TA application NAIS will require:
1. The Parents' Financial Statement (PFS), to be completed online at sssbynais.org . A fee applies, however families which meet the criteria described in the attached NAIS document will have their fee automatically waived at the application time. Questions about the form can be asked online or at (800) 344-8328.
- The code for the Ithaca Waldorf School is 4704.
- For Early Childhood families: When filling out the NAIS form, please select "Pre-1st" if your EC student will be 5 years old by June 1st 2018 and "K" if younger than 5 years oldafter June 1st 2018.
- Please use the Additional Comments section in the Additional Family Information tab to explain or discuss anything that will help us in making a decision regarding your family.
2. An electronic file of your 2016 Federal Tax Return with supporting documents and schedules. This must be uploaded to the NAIS site as part of the application. To submit your electronic 2016 Federal Tax Return you may upload:
- A pdf file of your taxes, if you filed online.
- An electronic file created at a local copy center, where they will help you convert your paper Tax Return document to an electronic file.
- An electronic file created at the IWS office, where we will be able to scan your paper 2016 Tax Return to a memory stick, which you provide.
3. If there is anything further you would like the committee to consider, please submit a letter (IWS c/o TA Committee, 20 Nelson Road, Ithaca, NY 14850) or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) explaining your situation. Without submission of items 1 and 2 (above), the application is considered incomplete, and an award will not be made.
Please contact the following members of the Tuition Assistance Committee with any additional questions you may have about the Tuition Assistance program:
- Bradford Smith, Tuition Assistance Committee Chair, at email@example.com or (607) 216-5533
- MaryAnn Albonesi at firstname.lastname@example.org or (607) 319-0205