Movement and Games Teacher
Beginning: July 1, 2017
The Ithaca Waldorf School (www.ithacawaldorf.org) is seeking an enthusiastic, dynamic teacher for our Movement and Games program. Training in Spacial Dynamics and/or physical education, and experience with Waldorf education is preferred but not required. Applicants should have a movement, cooperative games/sports and/or dance background, as well as, teaching experience with children ages 7-13. Training and experience teaching in at least 2 of the following areas are necessary: gymnastics, circus arts, creative movement, folk dancing, sports, cooperative (new) games, and outdoor education.
Accepting applications now; position is open until filled. We seek teachers with an understanding of Waldorf education and an abiding interest in the foundational philosophy of the school. We also welcome teachers new to Waldorf education if they have a serious interest in developing themselves as Waldorf teachers. In the Fall of 2017, the Ithaca Waldorf school will extend from Grade One through Six, in addition to providing full day programs in three Early Childhood classrooms, all of which are filled to capacity.
- BA or BS required
- Waldorf Teaching Certificate preferred
- Waldorf teaching experience preferred
- Experience teaching grade school age students
- Teaching, interpersonal, and student management skills
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Be adaptable; able to change work plan based on needs of particular class
Responsibilities will include:
- Teaching 6 hours per week, Grades 1 through 6
- Preparing specific activities/dances for seasonal events (Lunar New Year, dances for the May Faire, Pentathlon…)
- Developing an understanding of the Waldorf approach to child development
- Providing written mid-year and end-of- year reports for each student, in addition to communicating with parents throughout the academic year
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with colleagues
- Regular attendance at the Grades Faculty meeting
- Attendance at Full Faculty meetings as arranged with the Faculty Chair
Joining a dynamic Faculty during an exciting time of school expansion
Salary commensurate with experience
Professional development funds
The independent, not-for- profit Ithaca Waldorf School is authorized by the New York State
Department of Education to provide instruction through Grade 8. A fully-accredited member of the Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America (WECAN), we are currently a developing school with the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America. The Ithaca Waldorf School is nestled in the New York Finger Lakes on an 80-acre organic campus composed of field, forest and a biodynamic and educational farm (www.youthfarmproject.org). Our faculty enjoys a warm collegial relationship and receives support for professional development, tuition remission for enrolled children, and health benefits.
Ithaca is home to Cornell University and Ithaca College, which offer our community a rich cultural life. The city is situated at the foot of beautiful Cayuga Lake, and is a wonderful place to raise a family. (www.visitithaca.com)
Applicants should email a letter of interest, resume, three references including most recent school employer, and a brief biography to the IWS Hiring Committee c/o Claire Huyghe.
The Ithaca Waldorf School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or handicapping conditions in its educational programs or employment. No person shall be denied employment solely because of any impairment that is unrelated to the ability to engage in activities involved in the position or program to which application has been made.